Tuesday 21 August 2018

Laws of Attraction


Moving back to the city I call home has been mighty hectic - considering most of my time gets eaten up by driving to work and back. The perks though? The fam’s happy, I’m losing weight, my social life is back on track—and not a single thought has been given to the conveniently absent man in my life.

Although, while I say I haven’t given much of a thought to the missing man in my life- I have been giving a lot of thoughts to the arranged marriage proposals that my parents bring me- and it has been quite a ride. From people with funny car stickers to people with unexplained fetishes- seems to me like I’ve seen too much too soon. Yet in all this chaos, I recently found out about someone who I’ve known for a bit- and how they’ve been attracted to me.

This guy- Let’s call him Mr. Delhi (since he’s so typically Delhi). Even though I haven’t known him for very long, from what I’ve heard and observed- he’s quite a Casanova, he’s laidback, immature, flirtatious, yet so much fun to be with- which is why I guess we clicked so well as friends. But being friends aside, I never in my wildest dreams, imagined him having the minutest of attraction towards me- because I’m just completely different from how he is and he’s not my type either to be honest.



I kept wondering where had that attraction come from? Was it because I’ve always been nice to him? Was it because I have an over-friendly vibe? Or was it because let’s face it I’m that easy to fall for? Whatever it was that led to the attraction- I just couldn’t put a finger on it. And that made me realize that while we talk about the laws of attraction all the time- the harsh truth is- there are none. If you’re attracted to someone or develop a liking towards someone- it’s purely coincidental that they happen to have the sun sign you thought you’d be compatible with, or they like the same things as you do, or if their song is your favorite as well. Attraction has no laws and it’s purely random.

Come to think of it though, Mr. Delhi is so different from me- he’s down to earth and I have an air of superiority around me; he’s a chai drinker and I stick to green tea; he’s super accommodating and I’m the stuck-up bitch who’s never willing to adjust. Let’s just say we’re poles apart- and while I know they say opposites attract- in this case, I just didn’t see it coming.



I want to blame everything on the alcohol causing a lapse in our judgements- we should’ve known better. But the truth is, being tipsy doesn’t make you do things you don’t want to do- it only makes you do things you don’t have the courage to do when sober- so yes, I’ve concluded that the attraction had probably always been there- even if subconsciously so. But as for laws, and patterns- this is beyond those.

So don’t keep going in loops, break the pattern, don’t curb your wants and listen to your heart- and see where it leads you- don’t stereotype and think that you’re only allowed to be attracted to a certain kind of person- because attraction has no laws- and what doesn’t exist can’t bind you. And I hope to break free too- but while I say that, I don’t intend to pursue Mr. Delhi because some men are better off as friends, or lesser. I anyway had a spot empty in the ‘Friendzone’!



No comments:

Post a Comment