Sunday 4 November 2018

Of Breaks, Heartbreaks and Break-ups!

When it comes to age, my opinion is same as the popular opinion- it's just a number- I mean especially with PC  marrying Nick who's 11 years younger to her. But very recently, I was shook to my very core when I met my cousins after a long time and actually sat down to chat with them. Kynaa is 15 and her younger brother Ayaan is 13. Both their ages combined is how old I am- and while I've dealt with heartbreaks of my own- one conversation with them; and it seemed like they're dealing with so much more than I ever have or could.

Kynaa is the more chatty one amongst the two- I'm guessing she's taken after me. Without even me asking she decided to tell me about this guy Mehul who she's been with for 5 years now in an on and off relationship. Absolutely made me question my own capabilities as I honestly struggle to keep myself or a man interested for longer than a month. However, what was more interesting was that she said he's embarrassed of her because he's too cool to be a 'one woman man', and that caused a major heartbreak for her. I couldn't believe my ears because when I was a teenager, I probably had a crush or two and we would maybe just share lunch boxes but that was it. Even today, as a matter of fact, if a man wouldn't want to date me, and the hypothesis I'd draw would relate to him being too cool to be a one woman man;- just seems like a very far fetched thought in my head.

Ayaan on the other hand, told me he had recently started dating this wonderful girl. Kynaa joked and said how Ayaan's current girlfriend is better than his last as the last one was a 'S***'. I was so taken aback at the usage of that word that I missed out on asking why Kynaa categorised her as one. But as per Ayaan, even though it had been just a month with his current girlfriend- he already thought he needed a break. A 13 year old, needed a 'break' from his 1 month old relationship- it was just so appalling to me and I couldn't help but think of my own self so I asked him why he thought he needed a break. His answer? It's cool to take breaks in relationships- makes you feel like you're in the movies, and it's better for the 'long term'.

Wow! I began to wonder how at such a young age, Kynaa and Ayaan were already thinking about the long term and were already dating and jumping from relationship to relationship. Why was this the case? Was it because it's cool, as they say? Or because they see adults struggling to find love so they want to start early on and get ahead in this non-existent yet seemingly important race where you have to find 'the one'? Before I could finish pondering over this, Kynaa brought me back to reality as she exclaimed, she thinks she should 'break-up' for once and for all. I didn't need to ask her why.

She said it's been 5 years and that's a long time, and because she wants to date more people and because she feels it's not working out so she wants to give up. I wanted to advise her against it- because in my opinion, if you find someone who you feel you like enough, it's unjust to think about wanting to date more people. People are not options- and I don't believe in treating them that way. Also, the longer you are with someone, the better you understand each other- I was unable to understand how time was a factor that was pro breaking up. And lastly, because I don't think giving up is the only option when things are not working out- you could also try to fix them- when the going gets tough, the tough get going!

But honestly, I didn't give any advice to Kynaa- mostly because I couldn't get myself to advice a 15 year old on relationships when I myself haven't been able to sustain one successfully. To Ayaan however- I did tell him that the only break he should be taking is a lunch break. We all laughed and called it a night. 

As I went to sleep that night, I wondered if we all, irrespective of how old we were, were just chasing the happiness and comfort that love could bring into our worlds. I know I am- are you chasing the same as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment